People began to break away from the Church in the early 1800s and built chapels instead.
Whissonsett had two chapels.
A Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in High Street around 1830 and was replaced by a larger building in 1886 which was renovated in 1954.
It closed in 1973 and is now a private house. It was always referred to as the ‘Top’ Chapel and the stores in High Street was the ‘Top’ shop.
London Street had the ‘Bottom’ shop and ‘Bottom’ Chapel which was a Wesleyan Chapel built in 1854 and replaced with a new building in 1903. It is also now a private house.
The ‘Top’ and ‘Bottom’ descriptions are in relation to the Swan Hill.