The collection began in 1985 with tape recordings of the memories of members of the Happy Circle (over sixties club) and scrapbooks of village events.
There are now 20 scrapbooks, kept up to date, and a large collection of tapes, copies of which are also in the Norfolk County Sound Archives, and their transcripts.
The collection includes the census returns for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901, copies of the church baptism, marriage and burial registers, and school log books, village maps, the history of the parish council from 1895-1995, detailed information about many old Whissonsett families.
There are also photographs, memories, deeds, news cuttings, copies of the Enclosure map and Tithe map and accounts of the history of the village over the past 200 years and much more.
Contact Ann English at Hamrow Cottage 01328 700486.
Two books, ‘Whissonsett, a Norfolk Village'(Sold Out) and ‘The Changing Face of Whissonsett’ are recent publications based on information from the archives. They are available for sale by contacting Ann English 01328 700486. Postcards and a transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions seen in the church and churchyard are also available.